It is very important to be intentional about building a birth team. You want to surround yourself with skill and people you trust. Ask questions that are important to you. If you don't know which questions are important, you're in luck! Here is a list of essential questions to ask a midwife:
* Tell me about your experience and training. Did you attend midwifery school and complete a certification? Did you learn through an apprentice model?
* How do you handle complications during pregnancy or birth? What kinds of complications would risk me out of home birth?
* Can you handle emergencies? In the event of an emergency, what would be your role? Do you remain with me if I need to transfer to a hospital?
* What kind of medical equipment do you bring with you? Are you trained in the use of the equipment?
* Do you have an assistant? Will I meet your assistant(s)? Who would be present for my child's birth?
* Do you have backup? What happens if you're injured, ill, at another birth, out of town, or otherwise not available?
* How do you handle unexpected events like preterm labor or breech presentation?
* What are your fees? How are those fees structured? Do you have a cancellation/refund policy?
* What is included in your fee? Labs? Tests? Pool? Birth kit?
I suggest you interview 2-4 midwives before making a decision. Home birth is a safe choice for low risk pregnancies. To discuss how our team of doulas can help you plan for a home birth in the Charlotte area, please schedule a free consultation.